This project is read-only.

Unable to open RegistryKey. Could not check browser integration.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Hi,

I was testing SharpBits (Win Client) and it worked well in my machine. After that I tried to run it in a virtual machine and when I open it i got the following message:

Unable to open RegistryKey. Could not check browser integration.

I've looked into the code and it seems that the application is looking for a internet explorer key in registry. 

But why SharpBITS need this integration with the browser? And how can I solve this?

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

this registers SharpBITS as a download handler in IE, such when you right click a link in your browser you see an entry in the context menu which allows you to start a download using SharpBITS, much more convenient than adding a download manually. 

In some cases this may not work, e.g. with certain browser versions or if you don't have permission to check the registry key etc. If you don't want SharpBITS to check, you can configure this in the app, click on the little symbol in the bottom right corner and disable the browser integration. However as you will have realized the message is just for your information, so even if you don't disable the integration manually but it can't get registered, this does not impact the download handling itself.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Very informative, thanks!